We know that in everything God works for the good of those who love him. They are the people he called, because that was his plan. Romans 8:28

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day #6 To the north

 I was so tired last night that I didn't get to blog, so I am going to pretend today was really yesterday.  Then tomorrow I will report on all we saw today....got it?  We left Jackson, although not as early as we needed to, and headed north to Yellowstone.  We had reservations at the north end so we knew that was our destination.  We kind of stopped as we saw animals or if there was something we wanted to see, knowing we would swing by Old Faithful.  I do have to mention that we were not even on the same side of the park where the gentleman was attacked and killed by the bear.  
I just love these mountains!


We first stopped at a waterfall soon after you enter Yellowstone.  I can't remember which one it is, but it was very pretty.  


We have seen a lot of snow in our wanderings around Yellowstone.  This was a patch still on the trail to the waterfall.  We then headed on to Old Faithful.  We spend several hours here eating lunch and walking around looking at all of the pools and geysers. 

Old Faithful, of course

After the eruption

One of the pools,  Wyatt wasn't impressed with the sulfur smell!

After we left Old Faithful, we drove a short way to see the Grand Prismatic Spring.  It was really neat, and gorgeous.  Eley and I missed this last year in our fly by of Yellowstone.  

This was leading around to the big pool.  Supposedly it's bacteria growing, but whatever it is looks really cool.

The Grand Prismatic Spring!


As we continued on our way, we had a really interesting road block...a herd of buffalo were crossing the road.  We got up close and personal with them as they walked by.




It was quite a fun experience to watch them move off down the road.  We also had another road block, although not quite as dramatic.  I still don't know how he got on this bridge.  It was a pass over a smaller mountain.  He was just strolling down the middle of the road.


The picture is not the best because I took it through the windshield.  We finally made it to the Mammoth Hot Springs and checked in.  Our cabin was one room, with two double beds and a sink.  The bathroom was just across the road from us in a separate building.  I knew this when I made reservations, because for one night, we could handle it.  We made it work just fine.  Although when we walked in, Garrett did ask where the tv was!




The half of the building was ours.  We pushed the two double beds together and all slept there.  We actually had a good rest.  We slept with the windows open because there was no air (common up here) and either because it was so restful, or we were so worn out, we slept all night.  
I kinda skipped ahead.  After we got checked in, we went to the Mammoth Hot Springs.  Disappointingly, most of them were dry.  They said it is normal for them to be dry sometimes, and running others.  I will add a few pictures of the things we saw.  Quite interesting terrain....not sure I have ever seen anything like it.  Almost made me think of another planet.

This one was actually running



We are back in Jackson tonight and we start home tomorrow.  We are going back through Colorado, and aren't quite sure where we will stay yet.  I figure somewhere in Kansas.  Please pray for safe travel for us, and I will blog tomorrow about all that has happened today.  I will have lots of time in the car!  



Mammoth Hot Springs valley        







No comments:

Post a Comment